Between 1900 and 1908, Sunbury born May Clark became a star in many of the earliest silent films that were made at the Walton on Thames studios of the pioneer film maker Cecil Hepworth.
Sunbury Matters Articles
It has been quite horrifying to hear so many stories of scams, burglaries and dangerous situations people have found themselves that we feel compelled to share some of them here so that you are aware and can take safety precautions.
Many of us, if not all, experience loneliness at some point in our lives. Some feel alone most days. There are many studies into this human problem and in recent time the media has carried frequent reports.
There was a lot going on behind the scenes on the riverbank over the New Year period, but a disappointing lack of anything to show for it on the front line.
This month’s picture shows a group of people in front of the Three Fishes public house in Green Street, c1930. Above their heads a sign proudly advertises the products of the Isleworth Brewery, who had acquired the pub in 1889, but in fact by the time of the photo this brewery had been taken over by Watney Coombe Reid of Mortlake.
Daniel Mouawad has been Chief Executive of Spelthorne Council for over a year now. We thought that, as he has now got his feet under the table and settled into family life in Shepperton, it was time for a coffee with him.
January is the time of year to reflect on making some changes. Yes we may have gained a few pounds over the festive season and most of us will have had a few too many drinks.
This photo shows what were known as the French Nurseries, Upper Halliford. The name does not derive from the nationality or even the name of the owner, who was a Mr.
CEMEX have submitted revised plans to Surrey County Council for the extraction of gravel at Watersplash Farm. (Planning reference: SCC Ref:2012/0173).
Following Daphne Clement’s lovely comments about Sunbury in articles in recent months of Sunbury Matters, I should like to add some of my own childhood memories.
Thank you to Jan Williams who contacted us with the story of her husband’s grandfather, Alfred James Johnson. He was a Sunbury man through and through. Baptised, married and buried at St Mary’s.
Peggy Brunt of Sunbury had the surprise of her life when she was clearing up some of her husband’s things. He had passed away several years ago but for some reason Peggy had been looking through some old documents in the lead up to the centenary of the Armistice.
Volunteering is such a worthwhile activity. There are plenty of options if you look around. Giving people some freedom and independence as well as a bit of company must come as priorities. Sunbury neighbours gives those less mobile, the ability to get to appointments or do some shopping.
This grand Victorian house was originally called Rippledene, but there is a mystery about its origins.
We started in late September, spreading the news with flyers through local letterboxes and by word of mouth. The response was very heartening, and the initial support soon turned into a flood.
A century ago, in November 1918, the most terrible war that the world had ever known was nearing its end, although to a Britain exhausted by four long years of struggle and sacrifice, the deprivations caused by the ruinous cost of the war and the submarine threat were making life very difficult.
In 2016 Dart House on Thames Street, Lower Sunbury, was sold at auction for £1.2million. This has taken many immediate neighbours by surprise. More of a surprise was finding out that there were plans to demolish it and build a 5 storey block of 7 flats with underground parking.
We were contacted recently by the owner of a Honda Jazz who had their catalytic converters removed in broad daylight by thieves in the Sunbury area. Owners are being left with bills of hundreds of pounds
It was exciting to see the scaffolding coming down from Pomfret Cottage on Thames Street recently. The grade 1 listed house is going through a major refurbishment having been sold around 18 months ago.
This photo shows dozens of military lorries lined up at the Army Service Corps Depot, Kempton Park, during the First World War. The racecourse grandstands can be seen in the background of the picture with, just in front of them, wooden huts used to house all the troops based at the depot.
Yes, it was back in 1968 that Elizabeth Beresford first introduced the Wombles to the world. She had taken her young children for a walk on Wimbledon Common which her daughter mispronounced as “Wombledon Common”.